Wednesday, February 15, 2006

The first kick

I had the strangest dream last night. I was dreaming that Taylor and I were on a hike, on our own, while she was at a Guide camp. There were tons of bears, everywhere. Sleeping in trees, wandering around. Odd enough, since I don't actually believe there are bears anywhere near the camp they go to, only an hour outside the city. Perhaps we were in Jasper or Banff, still somewhat odd as for all the times I have been to the Rockies I have yet to see an actual bear.

We were walking along singing at the top of our voices "Bears, bears, bears..." when what do we see by a baby cat. By cat I mean the sort of the large variety, not your average housecat. I couldn't tell you what it was but it was spotted and I am not sure that cats of a spotted variety are found in Alberta. I could look it up, but that would include a wee bit of research on my part and I can't quite be arsed.

Anyway, since we've seen a kitten and a few bear cubs, surely somewhere there must be a few mamas. And a mama who's baby is near humans surely must think that we are up to no good. Of course, I woke up right as mama cat came into the picture. That always happens. But I wonder what it meant? Obviously that mother is going to protect her baby, and obviously I am going to do my best to protect mine. Some strange nesting instinct coming out in me perhaps? I wonder.

Well, the whole point of writing out the dream, aside from questioning its possible maternal meaning is that the bloody dream, along with Liam, who had joined me in bed, was that I was now wide awake at 4.30 am. And while Liam kept kicking me, so did his wee brother or sister.

For the first time. And while you may look below and see that I may quite possibly be 20 weeks along, and should have been feeling movement for a good 5 or 6 weeks now, I would defend myself by saying that I had no idea I was so far along and was not feeling for movement. Any movement felt would have been put down to a lack of food or some such thing. Plus there's the fact that I am nowhere near as thin as I was when I was pregnant with the first two. Therefore there a quite a few more layers for this baby to kick his way past. Poor wee bugger.

2 comments:

Boliath said...

Ah kicking, yay! Took me a long time to discern kicking from gas!

eh cough cough "pregnant with the first two" ahem... shouldn't that be first three?

Emma in Canada said...

Ah no, wasn't so skinny with Saoirse.