Tuesday, October 17, 2006

The 6 week check up (3 weeks late) and 2 month shots

Last Wednesday, Sophie had her 2 month shots and weigh in. She weighs 11lbs 14oz (75th percentile) and measures 22 1/4" (25th.) Oddly, while she weighed almost a pound less than Saoirse at birth (8 lbs to Saoirse's 8 15) she is almost a pound heavier than what Saoirse was at this point. Ah, the power of breastfeeding going well. She screamed bloody murder for the 3 shots, and tensed her leg so much so that the nurse commented on it. So all is well with her. She's doing great, a pure pleasure these days. Did I ever mention that for the first month I thought I was going to lose my mind? Thank God it's over.

I had my rescheduled postpartum appointment on the Friday. Sophie was fantastic, fell asleep while we were walking over and stayed asleep until we were back home. In the fantastic, I-am-so-bloody-proud-of-myself news I now weigh 10lbs less than when I got pregnant with Sophie. Only another thousand pounds to go. Well, not quite of course, it just feels like it. However, I have a bit of a yeast infection. I had no idea. I was asked what method of contraception we are using. I laughed at that one. With one or both girls in the bed every night, abstinence is the name of the game. Which completely sucks and hopefully will end soon. I am going to get the shots in my arm. As much as I hate needles, I hate the idea of swallowing a pill everyday and I never could get used to shoving things up there. So the shots it will be. Until they get banned anyway.

13 comments:

Paige said...

what about the patch? that goes on 1 of 4 places on your body but has to be changed every week, you're right the shot probably is best of for you who is busy with babies. I hope your abstinence stint ends soon!

Emmakirst said...

haha, i hear you about the whole abstinence. It kind of ruins the mood when a baby is in the crib next to you.

Jen said...

I went with the Nuva-Ring. Wasn't sure how I felt about the whole 'shoving things up there' issue LOL. Still not sure how I feel about it as I haven't had to do that yet! hahaa

I just took it out today. That was fun. Not.

*rolls eyes*

Susan in va said...

I LOVE taking the kids to their checkups, seeing their percentiles, etc. It's fun, isn't it? Sounds like you've got a healthy little girl on your hands. And way to go on losing the weight so fast. I'm still working on the last 10 pounds of the weight I accumulated over three pregnancies!

Claire said...

I find the checkup things fascinating too - as a singleton with no kids (yet?) it's a fascinating window into an unknown world....

Cxx

Molly said...

Two kids in bed that is an effective method of birth control. Speaking of birth control, your profile mentions that your science teacher demonstrated how a condom is one-size-fits-all. As a science teacher, I have never been quite that informative, but I have never broken a frozen rose either. (I can remove a hard-boiled from a glass bottle by blowing air into the bottle.)

Red Mum said...

well done on the 10 pounds! no mean feat at all, but I suppose running after all the babies has helped...

Unknown said...

Kudos on the 10lbs. Very impressive.

Glad to hear Sophie is doing well.

Her Bad Mother said...

I laughed out loud when our doctor asked us at six weeks about contraception. Never mind the proximity of new child, and the constant exhaustion - I was still terrified to let so much as a tampon get near my nether regions. Ha.

Hannah said...

I hear ya! Our daughter sleeps with us, so there's not much need for bc here either!

Anonymous said...

Hi Emma, I write for a newspaper in the UK called Emigrate Canada (www.emigrate2.co.uk). I am looking for British parents in Canada to comment on the school system there. Would you be interested? If so please email me: lana.clements@outboundmedia.co.uk

Thanks,
Lana

sallywrites said...

Are the shots getting banned?
She is such a beautful baby!

justmylife said...

Congrats on the 10 pounds, I wish I could do it. I kept weight from all 3 kids and after 8 years I am trying to lose some and it is not going well. Sounds like you have a healthy baby on your hands!